Sunday, October 30, 2011

Double Standards

1. Home to Contradictions, 2. Six Degrees from Home, 3. Welcome Back to My Therapy, 
4.  Lying, Cheating, Stealing and Intent, 5. Power of You, 6. One Split Second,
7. Marvelous Mistakes, 8. I made a choice to make a change, 9. Connections to the Farm,
10. Back to the Farm, 11. It's a small world after all, 12 Fair Weather Friends,
13. Ghost of Roommates Past, 14. You can never go to far, 15. Glamorous Life,
16. Double Standards, 17. Lazy? No Exhausted, 18. Crossroads of Life and Death, 19. One Last Time, 20. When Worlds Collide I, 21. When Worlds Collide II, 22. When Worlds Collide III   23. The Unwanted New World, 24. Means the Old World Must Go, 25. So Where was God in all this? 26. Where did you get that from?27. The Reason for My Season, 28. Was Always a Little Rascal, 29. Pictures and Quotes of the Little Rascal and final chapter 30. Closing in Contradictions. ~Use these links to read in order (some chapters have songs, new added content, pictures or all:) Volume 2 >>>>>       
   

  
As pet peeves go this is one that used to bug me to no end.  I say used to because I used to care and now not so much.  I have learned not to let what others think deter me from using my own common sense but when I was younger I tried to reason with people.  The idealist in me was not so in the closet and I gave it my all with some people, trying to figure out why they endorsed such narrow views that allowed them to have something while denying the same thing to others... for any reason.  I have always understood rules if only in the most basic concept, but what I was not going to do... was be the only one following them.  I can also say that I have never wanted to be an example of what to do or not to do because my path was chosen for a reason as was yours.  But I asked a lot of questions when I was young about... why things are the way they are. 

My parents answers to many of these questions was always "Because I said SO!".  Which was highly unsatisfactory in its opposition to any more conversation.  The first double standard I remember noticing was boys had more freedom and therefor more fun than girls.  I would watch the cousins in the family at family reunions and the guys had entirely more fun than the girls.  I was a tom boy so I liked playing with the guys better. Even the cousin that had fun in a foot race by having two of his friends hold a hose just as I passed, that caused me to take a flying leap... into the grass and mud.  My poor mother spent more time scrubbing my clothes and fussing about how I'd hit every puddle, mud hole and grass patch between here and the moon.  I noticed at school that the the guys got away with a lot more than the girls and it wasn't because they were smoother about it...if fact most of the time they would do their stuff right out in front of anybody.  And the adults would say "Well boys will be boys!" Hummph.

As I got older I observed the division of labor between adult couples that I knew and it was mostly the women working a full time job, raising the kids and still responsible for the never ending chores around the house.  Men mowed the lawn every two weeks or so and maybe washed the car from time to time.  I do know that the roles can and are reversed in some situations, especially in this day and age, but I mostly saw the women work longer and sometimes harder for often less money from the job than their male counterparts.  I didn't like that and tried to find partners that wanted to be partners and not just some bump on a log but as many people out there know that is almost impossible in certain places and times.  How many out there have known at least one person that thought their mere presence should be enough to solve every problem you have!?!  But the double standards kept stacking up and not just between the genders.  At work I'd often see the people who did the least and talked the most being promoted even if it was just to get them out of the department they were in and the people that actually worked their butt off were the first ones to go.   

In fact the last night I worked at the bank mail room my shift at the time was something like 6pm to 2am and shortly after I got to work that evening my assistant manager called me into the office for... something... some small infraction that I can't remember now, but the tone he held was that of the All Mighty and ordered me to sit down.  I refused and he ordered me again even louder this time.  I refused again and stated I can hear just fine while standing up so could he please get to the point.  There were only 3 of us that held on to those hours and he said that wasn't going to happen any more and if I wanted to keep my job then I would have to accept the 8:30pm to 6am shift.  He was so rude and those hours would not work with a young child so I told him to shove it!  Months later I went to a local fast food place and there he was taking orders.  LOL... I left because I wasn't going to let him serve me food and then found out later he was fired for stealing money from customers by cashing checks from closed accounts and that was why he wanted us to change hours... so he could have more time to steal from the company.  Now I realized he got fired, but it was only because he was so blatantly caught red handed and that doesn't happen with the really gifted ones.

Why is it then when women get older they are often thought of as just old but some men are considered distinguished?  Why must men who sleep around want to do it with women who don't and vs/vs?  Why are men surprised when they marry a trophy wife, that they turn into a gold digger when the marriage is over?  Why are women (myself included) forever dating bad boys with the unreachable hopes of saving them?  And what about societies views of celibacy while they use sex to sell everything from cars to candy?  And while we are still on the subject of sex... why is it so many anti abortionist are the first ones to abandon the needy children already here then continue to be pro death penalty?  I even had a dead beat dad tell me he was against abortion.  Go figure.  No matter your views on the subject, I still think that each and every case should be weighed separately by the parties involved and the decisions should be left up to them and them alone.  It is not right to blanket everyone with your own personal views because everyone is not dealing with what you are dealing with.  Apparently it is easier to tell other people what to do than actually doing anything constructive with their own lives... like educating themselves about the differences in people.  Also why is alcohol legal when it is responsible for more deaths annually than many hard drugs combined while marijuana, a plant grown naturally with so many different uses is not only considered illegal but down right treasonous at this point in time?  I guess we'll just have to ask big pharma that question, because they ought to know.  And never mind the fact the no one has ever died from using it OR that is may actually help with some health problems.           

And these few examples are just the tip of the iceberg as many of you know.  Now it seems as if our whole world has become a double standard so nothing is as it seems.  Lying, stealing and cheating are rewarded handsomely and working hard, trying to do the right things and follow the rules get us hammered with penalties, fees and stiff jail time for small infractions.  Farmers are paid not to farm here but there are starving families in many countries.  The society demands that we be educated but refuses to teach us anything of value... at least in schools and charges us an arm and a leg to do it to.  Religion tells us to be tolerant of others and then is responsible for more deaths due to intolerance than any other form on earth.  It's old news that advertising and consumerism is not only expected but demanded even if you don't have anything left to give.  While on the other side of the world the poverty and starvation are so pervasive that many are dying by the thousands.   Those who have the most to give, give the least and those who have the least often end up giving the most.  To say that the double standards have sunk to a new low should be no surprise if you were paying attention and cared about it in the first place.  I cared and was met with a resounding silence so often that I stopped trying but now I am starting to care again.  It gives me hope to see so many other people who have braved the indifferent, uncaring world in whatever way possible... without subscribing to the bottom line of double standards.     


   


17. Lazy? No Exhausted >>>>>




http://www.sott.net/articles/show/238402-Moms-Multitask-More-Than-Dads-Enjoy-it-Less     

 http://www.activistpost.com/2011/12/true-equality-is-end-of-double.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ActivistPost+%28Activist+Post%29&utm_content=FaceBook

                

No comments:

Post a Comment